Supporting documents for a visa application
All documents submitted by customers applying for all categories of visas will be scanned at the visa application centre and sent electronically to UK Visas and Immigration.
The new process allows you to keep your supporting documents during the application process. Wherever possible, your documents will be returned to you once they have been scanned at the visa application centre.
Please note, you may receive your supporting documents back before a decision is made on the application. This is normal process and you do not need to contact us.
You can also submit photocopies you have made yourself, but they must be clear and legible.
For non-settlement applications:
Submit all of your supporting documents to the enrolment clerk. You will not be able to submit further documents once your application has been submitted at the visa application centre. The documents that you submitted at the time you made your application will be the only documents that are considered.
For settlement applications:
You or your representative/sponsor should send a completed application package within 2 weeks of enrolling your biometric information (but not before) to
UK Visas and Immigration International
PO Box 5852
The package should include:
- The GWF reference provided at the time of application (e.g. GWF01234567).
- A photocopy of the applicant’s passport
- All additional documents supporting your application. These should include any documents originating in the UK, such as evidence of maintenance and accommodation. We recommend you provide A4 photocopies of all the documents you submit to assist us with the processing of your application quickly. Please do not staple any of your documents.
- A suitably sized stamped, self-addressed envelope or pre-paid return self-addressed courier envelope in order to return your supporting documents.
- The documents should be arranged within the package in the following order: Appendix 2
- Photocopy of the applicant’s passport
- English Language evidence
- TB certificate (if required)
- Relationship documents
- Maintenance documents
- Accommodation documents
- A stamped, self-addressed envelope or pre-paid return self-addressed courier envelope to return.
Once a decision has been made, the passport will be sent to the visa application centre where the application was made. All other document will be returned to the address on the self-addressed envelope.
In order to avoid delays in the VAC customers must follow the instructions below:
Photocopies can be submitted, but they must be clear and legible.
All documents must be A4 size.
Any documents which are smaller or larger than A4 must be photocopied onto A4 sized paper. This includes previous passports and photographs
All documents must be free from any clips, pins, or staples before they are submitted.
Torn, crumpled or heavily creased documents cannot be accepted. Therefore they must be photocopied onto A4 sized paper before they are submitted.
Documents should not be laminated
Sorting and separating documents
You must sort and separate the documents that you want to submit with your application.
Download and print out the barcode separators document. It provides a barcode separator page for each document category. It also lists examples of valid documents.