Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for a refund after I have taken an overseas citizenship application appointment?
No, once the applicant takes appointment, then you will not be able to initiate refund from the online application. You need to cancel the appointment in order to get the refund initiated from online OR have the refund request initiated from the VAC.
How do I change the VAC location for submitting my biometrics for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘Manage my account’ link. This will allow you to edit your country or residence and preferred visa application Centre location. This option will allow you to create a new application with the same login credentials but for a different location.
Only the new applications created after making the change will be created with new VAC location and Country. The existing applications will not get affected.
How do I reschedule or cancel my appointment for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘My Application’ link. Select Re-schedule Appointment option from the Quick Link menu.
You can reschedule or cancel your appointment any time prior to 24hours of your booked appointment time.
What does VFS Global do?
VFS Global manages visa application centres for UK Visas and Immigration, where you should submit your completed visa application form, passport, supporting documents and biometric data.
Who decides if I will get a visa?
Your visa application will be processed and decided by UK Visas and Immigration staff. VFS Global does not, play any part in or influence the outcome of your visa application.
VFS Global or its staff are not authorised to advise/suggest the category or comment on the documents and duration of Visa issued.
How do I pay my Visa fees?
You can pay your visa application fee through online only.
If I’m applying in Chiang Mai, how do I pay my additional fee for User Pay Service?
Applicants who elect to apply at Chiang Mai are subject to an additional user pay fee charge. Your user pay fee will now be paid on the AccessUK website at the time of paying for your visa application fee. Please click here to make the payment.
If I’m applying in Chiang Mai for a “Priority Visa”, what will be the processing time?
The processing time for “Priority Visa” from Chiang Mai will be 5 working days.
I would like to request a refund. How do I submit this request?
Do I enroll Biometrics in a VFS Global visa application centre?
When you attend the visa application centre, you will need to provide your biometric information, which includes a photograph and a digital scan of your fingerprints. If you have temporary injuries on your fingers, please wait until the injuries heal before your appointment date. You should also remove any henna on your fingertips, or allow it to fade, as this may prevent us from getting a clear scan.
Should children come to the VFS Global visa application centre for applying for a visa?
Every applicant who is submitting a visa application must attend the visa application centre in person. Children less than 5 years need to attend, but are not required to provide their biometric data Now, children less than 18 years of age who arrive at the visa application centre to apply for a visa need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian, while this cannot be a member of the VFS Global staff.
When can I make my application?
Applicant can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. We strongly advise you not to confirm your travel arrangements until you have received your visa.
What should I bring with me?
When you attend your appointment, you should bring
- Your appointment confirmation (this can be an electronic copy on your phone, or a hard copy),
- Visa fee receipt and user pay visa application centre service fee receipt.
- A valid passport or travel document with at least 1 page that is blank on both sides.
- Make and bring photocopy of your current passport for 1 page
- For applicants who are exempt from giving biometrics: 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements of UKVI’s photograph guidance
- A printout of your online application form, signed and dated.
- If you are applying under the points-based system, a completed self-assessment form, signed and dated.
- Payment receipts for any pre purchased user pays services
- All supporting documents (please ensure documents are removed from any bulky folders such as ring binders as these cannot be accepted as part of your application)
- Supplementary application forms.
Do I need to attend an interview?
If you are a student applying under the points based system (Tier 4) General, you may be required to attend a short interview at the visa application centre. When selecting your appointment during the online application process you should select a PBS Tier 4 appointment.
For non-student applications, UK Visas and Immigration staff may conduct interviews if this is required during the processing of your application. You might need to attend an interview when you submit your application at the visa application centre.
How long will it take to process my application by UK Visas and Immigration?
This depends on the category of visa application, but UK Visas and Immigration aims to return 90% of non-settlement visa applications within 15 working days. UK Visas and Immigration cannot guarantee the outcome or the length of time an application takes to process; neither can it guarantee the return of passport and documents within a certain timeframe. This is due to the fact that visa applications are assessed individually and individual circumstances can mean processing times may vary and result in longer decision times. Therefore you are requested to wait until a decision on the application is taken since VFS Global does not have any control over the processing times. The processing time for a settlement application is 95% within 12 weeks.
Is there a way of getting my application processed sooner than the regular?
‘’There are 2 ways to obtain a priority service:
Super priority visa service
- Please check our guidance to see if the SPVS is suitable for you as not all applicants and applications are eligible. Using the Super Priority Visa Service does not imply or guarantee that your visa application will be successful. All applicants must meet the requirements of the relevant UK Immigration Rules. The Super Priority Visa Service fee is non-refundable once your biometrics have been enrolled. It will not always be possible for UK Visas & Immigration to process applications within 24 hours. In these circumstances we will let you know when you can expect your decision and whether your Super Priority Visa Service fee can be refunded. The amount paid for the Super Priority Visa Service will not be refunded if the visa is refused. The cost of this service is an additional fee of GBP 919(currently 42,274 Baht).’’
Priority visa service
This service allows non-settlement visa customers to pay for their visa application to be placed at the front of UKVI’s queue and for their application to be processed ahead of other (standard) visa applications. Under normal circumstances a Priority Visa Service application will be processed within 3-5 working days. The fee for the service is GBP 184 (currently 8,464Baht) per applicant. We cannot accept requests to use the Priority Visa Service after your visa application has been submitted.
Please note: If you have been refused a visa for any one of these countries or overstayed your visa to the UK or been removed or otherwise been required to leave the UK, the processing of your application is likely to take longer than the processing times set out below, and is unsuitable for the priority visa process.
What does it cost?
The cost of priority visa is an additional THB 8,464 (including taxes).
This service allows non-settlement visa customers to pay for their visa application to be placed at the front of UKVI’s queue and for their application to be processed ahead of other (standard) visa applications. Under normal circumstances a Priority Visa Service application will be processed within 3-5 working days.
Important note: Using the priority visa service does not guarantee that your visa application will be successful. All applicants must meet the requirements of the UK’s immigration rules. The priority visa service fee will not be refunded if the visa is refused or, in exceptional circumstances, takes longer than the processing times set out above.
How do I collect my documents and passport back?
To collect your documents and passport, you need to visit the VFS Global visa application centre, where you have submitted your documents and passport. Please bring original receipt to collect passport and document at Visa Application Centre. In case you have lost your original receipt please bring police report instead of original receipt
What are the security procedures that I have to undergo in the VFS Global visa application centre?
For security reasons the following items will not be permitted inside the visa application centre.
- All battery operated or electronic items such cameras, tablets, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppies, laptops, or portable music players ,hard disk drive (HDDs), pen/thumb drives, spy devices, audio recorders, or other devices which can hinder the centre’s functioning
- Sealed envelopes or packages.
- Any inflammable item such as matchboxes/ lighters/ electric cigarettes /fuel.
- Any sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail filers.
- Weapons, weapon - like objects or explosive material of any kind.
Other items may be prohibited based on security staff discretion.
Please note: The visa application centre is unable to store prohibited items. Applicants should make other arrangements to store their belongings before they enter the visa application centre.
What should I do if I need a visa in an emergency?
- Before contacting UKVI check if you qualify for any of the user pay services such as super priority or priority visas that have quick turnaround times and apply as per If you do not meet the conditions, please apply for the standard visa category and pay the relevant fees.
- You may then email/ contact the International Enquiry service with the application details (case reference GWF number, complete name or passport number). Should your case qualify as an emergency, the team will get in touch with you. All other cases will be dealt with as normal.
- Please note this service is available only in case of a serious medical emergency or an unfortunate event in the family that requires immediate emergency travel and should be evidenced with the application. This service is not available for business emergencies.
Note: All applications will still need to meet the immigration rules in order to be granted a visa.
Useful answers to common questions raised in regard to making an overseas citizenship application – appointment