Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for a refund after I have taken an overseas citizenship application appointment?
No, once the applicant takes appointment, then you will not be able to initiate refund from the online application. You need to cancel the appointment in order to get the refund initiated from online OR have the refund request initiated from the VAC.
How do I change the VAC location for submitting my biometrics for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘Manage my account’ link. This will allow you to edit your country or residence and preferred visa application Centre location. This option will allow you to create a new application with the same login credentials but for a different location.
Only the new applications created after making the change will be created with new VAC location and Country. The existing applications will not get affected.
How do I reschedule or cancel my appointment for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘My Application’ link. Select Re-schedule Appointment option from the Quick Link menu.
You can reschedule or cancel your appointment any time prior to 24hours of your booked appointment time.
How do I apply?
The how to apply page of the VFS Global website contains information that would assist you on how to make your appointment. You will be provided with the full address and operating times when you receive your appointment confirmation email.
Firstly, complete a UK visa application. All applications must be completed on line on the following website – Click here. The appropriate visa fee must also be paid on line at the time of making your application.
When am I eligible for a refund of my visa fees?
Effective 1 October 2014 the Visa fees are not refundable after biometrics have been taken. Fees will also not be refunded after capture of a live image at the Visa Application Centre (VAC) for children under the age of 5. The visa fee will be refundable only if the application is withdrawn in writing prior to the biometric submission, or if the applicant refuses to provide biometrics. User Pay Visa Application Centre fees will be refundable only if the appointment is cancelled 5 days before the scheduled appointment date.
I would like to request a refund. How do I submit this request?
What will happen when I attend for my appointment?
When you attend your appointment, you:
- Should arrive 15 minutes before your appointment, and
- Provide your biometric data
- Deposit your passport, application form and supporting to the VFS Global (PVT) Ltd.
The application will then be sent to UK Visas and Immigration.
What supporting documentation do I require?
The UK Government website for visas and immigration, Click here, will provide information on the requirements for entry to the UK.
What should I bring with me?
When you attend your appointment, you should bring
- Your appointment confirmation (this can be an electronic copy on your phone, tablet or a hard copy),
- Visa fee receipt and user pay visa application centre service fee receipt.
- A valid passport or travel document with at least 1 page that is blank on both sides.
- 2 Photocopies each from the passport BIO page and the alteration pages.
- For applicants who are exempt from giving biometrics: 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements of UKVI’s photograph guidance
- A printout of your online application form, signed and dated.
- If you are applying under the points-based system, a completed self-assessment form, signed and dated.
- Payment receipts for any pre purchased user pays services
- All supporting documents (please ensure documents are removed from any bulky folders such as ring binders as these cannot be accepted as part of your application)
- Supplementary application forms.
- Approval from the Immigration and Emigration Department of Sri Lanka (DIE), in order to transport passports to UK Visas and Immigration Office – Chennai for visa processing. Applicants can collect approval directly from DIE office before they submit their visa application to OR applicants can provide a request letter to VFS Global to collect approval on their behalf, by paying a DIE fee of 1000 LKR and a Levy fee of 360 LKR.
- The two forms will need to be completed if you wish to obtain the DIE approval through VFS Global.
Do I need to attend an interview?
If you are a student applying under the points based system (Tier 4) General, you may be required to attend a short interview at the visa application centre. When selecting your appointment during the online application process you should select a PBS Tier 4 appointment.
For non-student applications, UK Visas and Immigration staff may conduct interviews if this is required during the processing of your application. You might need to attend an interview when you submit your application at the visa application centre.
What if I am a resident of Sri Lanka and require to stay in the UK for more than a period of 06 months?
With effect from Monday 19 May 2014, anyone in Sri Lanka applying for a UK visa for longer than 6 months will need to be screened and obtain a certificate from an approved clinic run by the International Office for Migration (IOM) to certify that they are free from TB before they make a UK visa application. Applicants will need to pay to the clinic for the diagnostic tests. The fees have been set at $90 USD for adults and $40 USD for children. The issued certificate will be valid for 6 months.
The International Office for Migration (IOM) will be officially managing the arrangements for the testing in Sri Lanka on our behalf. Only certificates received from the IOM clinic in Colombo will be accepted in support of associated applications. The relevant Sri Lankan authorities have already been made aware of the new requirements and have confirmed their acceptance of the due process. The official address of the sole clinic in Sri Lanka is:
- IOM Migration Health Assessment Centre
No. 53C, Ananda Coomaraswamy Mawatha (Green Path)
Colombo 3, Sri Lanka.
The requirement to undergo pre-entry TB screening only applies to applicants for UK visas of longer than six months duration. Anyone travelling to the UK for 6 months or less, for example as a student visitor or on a business, family or tourism visitor visa, is not required to undergo a pre-entry TB test.
There will also be an exemption from the pre-entry screening requirements for those travelling to the UK for longer than 6 months in the following categories: accredited foreign diplomats and their families travelling to the UK, UK returning residents and holders of certificates of entitlement.
Should any application be received from Monday 19 May 2014 without the required certificate, the applicant will need to obtain a certificate or face a mandatory refusal.
- IOM Migration Health Assessment Centre
What should I do if there is a need for emergency visa?
- Before contacting UKVI check if you qualify for any of the user pay services such as super priority or priority visas that have quick turnaround times and apply as per guidance. If you do not meet the conditions, please apply for the standard visa category and pay the relevant fees.
- You may then email/ contact the International Enquiry service with the application details (case reference GWF number, complete name or passport number). Should your case qualify as an emergency, the team will get in touch with you. All other cases will be dealt with as normal.
- Please note this service is available only in case of a serious medical emergency or an unfortunate event in the family that requires immediate emergency travel. This service is not available for business emergencies.
Note: All applications will still need to meet the immigration rules in order to be granted a visa.
How will my passport be returned to me?
The passport will be returned via courier to the address provided by you at the time of application or will be made available for collection from the UK visa application centre if requested.
If I am applying in Male how do I pay my additional fee of GBP 170?
Applicants who elect to apply here are subject to an additional user pay fee of £170 which is payable in local currency. This fee can only be paid through the online shopping cart by visiting here.
Where can I find information on Biometric Residence Permit?
Applicants will receive a letter which provides detailed information about how to collect their BRP on arrival. Further information for overseas visa applicants is at click here and full guidance is at click here.
If you have lost a valid BRP please follow the advice at this link.
Should children come to the VFS Global Visa application Centre for applying for a visa?
Every applicant who is submitting a visa application must attend the visa application centre in person. Children less than 5 years need to attend, but are not require to provide their biometric data. Children less than 18 years need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian, while this cannot be a member of VFS Global staff.
Are Antigua and Barbuda visas handled by UKVI?
From 30 October 2015 applicants requiring a visa for Antigua and Barbuda are requested refer the following website www.immigration.gov.ag
This is no longer handled by UKVI.
What is health surcharge?
Improved process for paying the health surcharge
- UK Visas and Immigration is improving how applicants pay the health surcharge.
- We have developed a new integrated process which uses information from an immigration application to decide whether a customer needs to pay the surcharge and how much they must pay.
- If a surcharge reference is needed, the online application system will direct applicants through the surcharge payment process meaning they only need to input personal details once, making the overall process quicker, easier and errors less likely.
The changes will come into effect on 5 July 2015.
- Customers will have to start a new online application if they have not paid the surcharge and submitted their application by 17:59 (BST) on 4 July. Otherwise they will either have to pay the surcharge again, or their immigration application may be rejected. For the latest information on this service visit AccessUK
- Customers who have submitted their immigration application and paid their surcharge before this time are not affected.
- These improvements are informed by feedback from applicants since the surcharge was launched in April. They are also part of our ongoing commitment to improve the customer experience and enhance our online services.
- For further information on the health surcharge visit: www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application or contact UKVI at www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-outside-uk
Where can the applicants who have applied under overseas British Citizenship provide their biometrics?
Customers who have applied for British citizenship must register on the VFS website in order to book an appointment to enrol their Biometrics at the Visa Application Centre. Please click here to register and book an appointment
What English language tests should I complete when applying for UK visa?
Overseas Domestic Worker Information Sheet please read details
Useful answers to common questions raised in regard to making an overseas citizenship application – appointment