Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for a refund after I have taken an overseas citizenship application appointment?
No, once the applicant takes appointment, then you will not be able to initiate refund from the online application. You need to cancel the appointment in order to get the refund initiated from online OR have the refund request initiated from the VAC.
How do I change the VAC location for submitting my biometrics for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘Manage my account’ link. This will allow you to edit your country or residence and preferred visa application Centre location. This option will allow you to create a new application with the same login credentials but for a different location.
Only the new applications created after making the change will be created with new VAC location and Country. The existing applications will not get affected.
How do I reschedule or cancel my appointment for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘My Application’ link. Select Re-schedule Appointment option from the Quick Link menu.
You can reschedule or cancel your appointment any time prior to 24hours of your booked appointment time.
Who are we?
VFS Global is a commercial company, working in partnership with UK Visas and Immigration at the British Embassy here in Japan providing support services to people applying for a visa to enter the United Kingdom (UK).
To apply for a visa to enter the UK, please visit the UK Government website for visas and immigration in Japan.
What does VFS Global do?
VFS Global manages visa application centre for UK Visas and Immigration here in Japan, where you should submit your completed visa application form, supporting documents and biometric data. Please see the visa application centre page on this website for VFS Global visa application centre address and contact details.
Who decides if I will get a visa?
Your visa application will be processed and decided by UK Visas and Immigration. VFS Global staff do not, play any part in or influence the outcome of your visa application. If VFS Global staff claims to be able to influence your application, you should notify in writing to the Head of Visa Services at the British Embassy in Manila. You can find their address on the UK Government website for visas and immigration in Japan.
How to apply for UK visa?
You will find the 3 simple steps to apply for a UK visa on this website;
I would like to request a refund. How do I submit this request?
What will happen when you attend your appointment?
When you attend your appointment, you:
Should arrive 5 minutes prior to your appointment
Security check will be preceded by a guard at the centre. (please click here for security information.)
Submit application and provide your biometric data
Note: All UK visa applicants are required to book an appointment prior to submission. Walk in applicants will no longer be accommodated.
What should I bring with me?
When you attend your appointment, you should bring;
- Your appointment confirmation (this can be an electronic copy on your phone, tablet or a hard copy)
- A valid passport or travel document (original and 1 copy of bio page) and previous passports (if available)
- Only if you are exempt from providing biometrics, please submit 01 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements in UK visas and immigration’s photograph guidance
- A printout of your online application form, signed and dated
- If you are applying for Settlement Visa, a completed Appendix form, signed and dated
- Any supporting documents relevant to your application. If the originals are not in English you must provide the original documents as well as a translation in English
- Please ensure documents are removed from any bulky folders such as ring binders as these cannot be accepted as part of your application.
- Please do not staple your application bundle as one whole document. Please keep the different document types separate.
- One Photocopy of each Original supporting document. Your original documents will be returned after the final decision has been made by UK Visas and Immigration.
Your passport must contain at least 1 blank page back to back so that the visa can be inserted. You are not legally required to have 6 months validity on your passport at the time you apply for your visa but your passport must be valid at the time you apply and at the time you arrive in the UK.
Should children come to the VFS Global visa application centre for applying for a visa?
Yes, Children less than 5 years are required to register their digital photo at the Visa Centre effective from 7 July 2014. Children less than 18 years need to be accompanied by an adult and this cannot be a member of VFS Global staff.
Please note: There is no nursing area/room for babies in the visa application centre or in the building.
How long will it take to process my application by UK Visas and Immigration?
This depends on the category of visa application. Please visit the UK Government website for visas and immigration in Japan for processing times to find out more information.
What User Pay Services (optional services) are available?
Visa Application Centre provides a variety of optional services for your convenience.
Available services are:
- Priority Visa Service
The priority visa service is available to customers who pay an additional fee to have their visa application placed at the front of the queue.
- Primetime Appointment Service
The prime time appointment service is available from Monday to Friday between 14:00 and 16:00. This service allows applicants, who pay an additional fee, to lodge their applications beyond the normal processing hours (Monday to Friday 08:00 to 14:00).
- VIP Premium Lounge Service – Tokyo only
This service provides to applicants, who pay an additional fee, to use Lounge service during their application lodgement at Visa Application Centre in Tokyo.
- Courier Service
Courier service for the return of processed applications and passports to your convenience address by express mail.
- Photocopying Service
A photocopying service is available for applicants at Visa Application Centre.
- Photograph Service
Applicants can have photographs meet the UK Visas and Immigration photograph specifications taken at Visa Application Centre.
- Internet access
Applicants can made online application form at Visa Application Centre. This service is purely for making online application form by accessing to AccessUK website and personal e-mails or other internet page access are not available.
- Printed copies of visa application form
A printed copy of your visa application form is available from Visa Application Centre
- SMS status tracking Service
Easy to use SMS service with an automated confirmation feedback message sent to the applicant's mobile phone, at various stages of the visa application process.
More information about User Pay Services is available on this site.
Note: To use optional services you will need to pay a fee at the visa application centre. This is in addition to the visa application fee.
- Priority Visa Service
What are the security procedures that I have to undergo in the VFS Global visa application centre?
Mobile phones and Tablets are permitted in the visa application centre, but they must be switched to silent or vibrate mode. They should be switched on before entering the VAC. Devices that cannot be switched on cannot be taken into the visa application centre.
Under no circumstances is photography, filming or audio recording permitted. Mobile phones have to be put away when you are dealing with our staff.
Only one airline cabin size bag 55 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm alternatively 21.5” x 13.5” x 8" per applicant is permitted in the VAC . Larger bags cannot be taken into the visa application centre and must be stored elsewhere.
All items may be subjected to a security check.
For security reasons the following items will not be permitted inside the visa application centre.
- All battery operated or electronic items such cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppies, laptops, or portable music players ,hard disk drive (HDDs), pen/thumb drives, spy devices, audio recorders, or other devices which can hinder the centre’s functioning
- Sealed envelopes or packages.
- Any inflammable item such as matchboxes/ lighters/ electric cigarettes /fuel.
- Any sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail filers.
- Weapons, weapon - like objects or explosive material of any kind.
Other items may be prohibited based on security staff discretion.
Please note: The visa application centre is unable to store prohibited items. Applicants should make other arrangements to store their belongings before they enter the visa application centre.
Useful answers to common questions raised in regard to making an overseas citizenship application – appointment