Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for a refund after I have taken an overseas citizenship application appointment?
No, once the applicant takes appointment, then you will not be able to initiate refund from the online application. You need to cancel the appointment in order to get the refund initiated from online OR have the refund request initiated from the VAC.
How do I change the VAC location for submitting my biometrics for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘Manage my account’ link. This will allow you to edit your country or residence and preferred visa application Centre location. This option will allow you to create a new application with the same login credentials but for a different location.
Only the new applications created after making the change will be created with new VAC location and Country. The existing applications will not get affected.
How do I reschedule or cancel my appointment for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘My Application’ link. Select Re-schedule Appointment option from the Quick Link menu.
You can reschedule or cancel your appointment any time prior to 24hours of your booked appointment time.
How do I complete my visa application?
You should complete your visa application online on the AccessUK website, select an appointment date and time and make the payment online. Then print and sign your completed online application form.
I would like to request a refund. How do I submit this request?
Do I enrol Biometrics in a VFS Global visa application centre?
When you attend the visa application centre, you will need to provide your biometric information, which includes a photograph and a digital scan of your fingerprints. If you have temporary injuries on your fingers, please wait until the injuries heal before your appointment date. You should also remove any henna on your fingertips, or allow it to fade, as this may prevent us from getting a clear scan.
Should children come to the VFS Global visa application centre for applying for a visa?
Every applicant who is submitting a visa application must attend the visa application centre in person. Children below the age of 5 need to attend the visa application centre to provide a digital photograph, but are not required to provide their fingerprints. Children below the age of 18 need to be accompanied by an adult and this cannot be a member of VFS Global staff.
When can I make my application?
Applicant can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK. We strongly advise you not to confirm your travel arrangements until you have received your visa.
What will happen when I attend the visa application centre for my appointment?
When you attend your appointment at the visa application centre, you:
- Must ensure you arrive 10 minutes before your appointment ( if you are late you might be asked to reschedule your appointment );
- Register your Visa Application
- Provide your biometric data.
- Attend the interview, if applicable
- The application will then be sent to UK Visas and Immigration for processing. VFS Global or their staff are not authorised to advise/suggest the category or comment on the documents and duration of Visa issued.
What should I bring with me?
When you attend your appointment, you should bring
- Your appointment confirmation (this can be an electronic copy on your phone, or a hard copy),
- Visa fee receipt and user pay visa application centre service fee receipt.
- A valid passport or travel document with at least 1 page that is blank on both sides.
- For applicants who are exempt from giving biometrics: 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements of UKVI’s photograph guidance
- A printout of your online application form, signed and dated.
- If you are applying under the points-based system, a completed self-assessment form, signed and dated.
- Payment receipts for any pre purchased user pays services
- All supporting documents (please ensure documents are removed from any bulky folders such as ring binders as these cannot be accepted as part of your application)
- Supplementary application forms.
- You will be asked to complete a document checklist on arrival at the visa application centre.
Do I need to attend an interview?
If you are a student applying under the points based system (Tier 4) General, you may be required to attend a short interview at the visa application centre. When selecting your appointment during the online application process you should select a PBS Tier 4 appointment.
For non-student applications, UK Visas and Immigration staff may conduct interviews if this is required during the processing of your application. You might need to attend an interview when you submit your application at the visa application centre.
How long will it take to have my application processed by UK Visas and Immigration?
This depends on the category of visa application, but UK Visas and Immigration aims to return 90% of non-settlement visa applications within 15 working days. UK Visas and Immigration cannot guarantee the outcome or the length of time an application takes to process; neither can it guarantee the return of passport and documents within a certain timeframe. This is due to the fact that visa applications are assessed individually and individual circumstances can mean processing times may vary and result in longer decision times. Therefore you are requested to wait until a decision on the application is taken since VFS Global does not have any control over the processing times. The processing time for a settlement application is 95% within 12 weeks.
How do I have my documents and passport returned back?
When you attend the VFS Global visa application centre, while submitting the application you can either ask the staff at the counter to courier (optional) the documents and passport back or collect the documents and passports from the VFS Global application centre where you submitted your visa application
What should I do if I cannot attend the visa application centre on the appointed date?
If you cannot attend the visa application centre on the appointed date, you would need to cancel your appointment and apply for a full refund. Please refer to terms and conditions and refund policy. Refunds are at the sole discretion of VFS Global and will be in line with the refund policy.
Where is further guidance available?
Further guidance and visa information is available on the UK government website for visas and immigration.
Useful answers to common questions raised in regard to making an overseas citizenship application – appointment