Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for a refund after I have taken an overseas citizenship application appointment?
No, once the applicant takes appointment, then you will not be able to initiate refund from the online application. You need to cancel the appointment in order to get the refund initiated from online OR have the refund request initiated from the VAC.
How do I change the VAC location for submitting my biometrics for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘Manage my account’ link. This will allow you to edit your country or residence and preferred visa application Centre location. This option will allow you to create a new application with the same login credentials but for a different location.
Only the new applications created after making the change will be created with new VAC location and Country. The existing applications will not get affected.
How do I reschedule or cancel my appointment for overseas citizenship application?
Login with the registered credentials, click on ‘My Application’ link. Select Re-schedule Appointment option from the Quick Link menu.
You can reschedule or cancel your appointment any time prior to 24hours of your booked appointment time.
How do I apply?
The “how to apply page” of the VFS Global website contains more information about how to make your appointment. You will be provided with the full address and operating times when you receive your appointment confirmation email.
Firstly, complete a UK visa application. All applications must be completed on line on the following website – www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk . The appropriate visa fee must also be paid on line at the time of application.
What will happen when I attend for my appointment?
When you attend your appointment, you:
- Should arrive 15 minutes before your appointment ( if you are late you will need to reschedule your appointment ); and
- Provide your biometric data.
- Deposit your passport, application form and supporting documents in a drop box ready for collection by a courier.
The application will then be sent to UK Visas and Immigration.
What supporting documentation do I require?
The UK government website for visas and immigration in Jamaica, www.homeoffice.gov.uk, will provide information on the requirements for entry to the UK.
Where do I submit my supporting documents as a settlement applicant
For submission of settlement supporting documents...details here
What documents do I submit for a visa application?
When you attend your appointment, you should bring
- Your appointment confirmation (this can be an electronic copy on your phone, or a hard copy),
- Visa fee receipt and user pay visa application centre service fee receipt.
- A valid passport or travel document with at least 1 page that is blank on both sides.
- For applicants who are exempt from giving biometrics: 1 recent passport-sized (45mm x 35mm) colour photograph of your face, which meets the requirements of UKVI’s photograph guidance
- A printout of your online application form, signed and dated.
- If you are applying under the points-based system, a completed self-assessment form, signed and dated.
- Payment receipts for any pre-purchased user pays services
- All supporting documents (please ensure documents are removed from any bulky folders such as ring binders as these cannot be accepted as part of your application)
- Supplementary application forms.
Do I need to attend an interview?
If you are a student applying under the points based system (Tier 4) General, you may be required to attend a short interview at the visa application centre. When selecting your appointment during the online application process you should select a PBS Tier 4 appointment.
For non-student applications, UK Visas and Immigration staff may conduct interviews if this is required during the processing of your application. You might need to attend an interview when you submit your application at the visa application centre.
How will my passport be returned to me?
You may pick up your passport at the VAC after the DMC has made their decision. If you choose to pay for the courier return service, your passport and supporting documents provided will be couriered back to you once a decision has been made on your application by UK Visas and Immigration. You will be required to provide a complete address for a return courier delivery.
How long will my application take?
This depends on the category of visa application, but UK visas and immigration aims to return 90% of visit visa applications within 15 days. Full details of the processing times can be found on the UK government website for visas and immigration in Jamaica.
I would like to request a refund. How do I submit this request?
Useful answers to common questions raised in regard to making an overseas citizenship application – appointment